This one day training course will provide the participant with the knowledge and tools to deal with a conflict situation effectively and lawfully. You will learn how conflict situations can arise and how to manage them to prevent escalation.
Please note : this course can be run either in your premises or remotely via conference calling software. Please , contact us for details.
To enable participants to confidently handle and resolve conflict situations.
To achieve successful results in difficult circumstances without compromising reputation, dignity or self-respect.
To achieve these aims, participants will cover the following objectives:
- Understand how to use communication effectively
- Understand the effects of stress on the body and mind
- Understand how your behaviour can affect another person’s stress levels
- Know the warning and danger signs, and recognise when a situation is about to deteriorate
- Understand what is ‘reasonable force’
- Understand the factors which have an impact on your use of ‘reasonable force’
- Understand the importance of a statement
- Understand what information needs to be included in your statement
- Know what the law says in relation to the use of force
- Understand how conflict resolution measures fit within the law
- Be aware of the dangers of positional asphyxia
- Know how to avoid the onset of positional asphyxia
Module 1 What is conflict and how does it arise?
This module explores our understanding of conflict, how it can arise and the consequences.
Module 2 Communication
This module explores how communication can assist in conflict resolution, and how we can use effective communication to avoid conflict situations arising.
Module 3 Stress
This module explores the effects of stress on the body and mind, and how this affects our ability to think and function rationally. Discussion is focused on how our behaviour can affect other’s stress levels, and methods of reducing stress.
Module 4 Warning and Danger signs
This module explores the warning and Danger signs we need to be aware of that shows a situation may become violent or explosive. It addresses the methods available to diffuse potentially dangerous situations.
Module 5 Situational Awareness
This module explores the environmental factors that can impact on the conduct of the encounter and aims to make the delegate aware of their own circumstance and surroundings and how to use that to their advantage
Module 6 Statements
This module examines in detail what is needed in a statement to satisfy the legal obligations and the importance of including detail.
Module 7 Law
This module examines the implications of the law in in conflict situations and what is and is not acceptable behaviours
Module 8 Positional Asphyxia
This module aims to raise awareness of positional asphyxia, and how it is avoided.